The number of registered voters has hit three million after 240,000 more were brought in during a $60 million campaign. About 440,000 forms had been received by the Registration and Electoral Office before the deadline on Wednesday, Deputy Secretary for Constitutional Affairs Robin Ip Man-fai said. Of these, about 200,000 had reported changes in personal details. The rest were from people who had not registered before. Mr Ip said the response from young people was particularly encouraging. 'About 30 to 40 per cent of the forms processed came from people in the 18 to 25 age group,' he said. 'The enthusiasm was attributed to the work of the Home Affairs Department in universities and secondary schools, as well as our promotion campaign through the media.' It is estimated 4.5 million people are eligible to vote, out of which 67 per cent have registered. Mr Ip said the number of voters had increased substantially - by more than 600,000 - since December 1997. He also said officials were planning automatic registration in the future. 'The major problem is that we don't have the addresses of those who haven't registered,' he said. 'We are hoping to get the help of the Security Bureau in obtaining the addresses if new identity cards are introduced. 'Once that problem is dealt with, then there shouldn't be any difficulty in implementation.'