SECURITY chief Regina Ip Lau Suk-yee yesterday confirmed mainland authorities would put suspected 'Big Spender' gang member Wu Man on trial in the near future. But Mrs Ip said that on a recent visit to the mainland her Guangdong counterparts had been unable to provide her with the exact date of the trial nor could they tell her the specific charges Wu would face. The Secretary for Security's remarks came after the South China Morning Post reported yesterday that Wu, a Hong Kong resident holding a British National (Overseas) passport, was to appear in the Guangzhou Intermediate People's Court on June 23. 'I did make some inquiries about Wu Man during my recent visit to Guangdong and I was given to understand that he would indeed be charged in the near future for offences committed within the mainland jurisdiction,' Mrs Ip said. 'However, I have not been given details about the exact date for the trial or the details of the charges concerned.' She said the Hong Kong Government was in no position to intervene in the case or to provide direct assistance to Wu and his relatives for his defence. 'It is basically for Mr Wu and his family to arrange for his own legal representation and to defend himself in accordance with the mainland's criminal justice system and procedures.' But the Hong Kong Government would be happy to relay any requests for assistance made by Wu's family to mainland authorities, Mrs Ip said. The arrest of Wu set off a diplomatic row between Beijing and London a year ago when he was snatched at gunpoint in Bangkok by Thai police and Public Security Bureau officers and flown to the mainland. Britain said it had not been told and no formal extradition proceedings had taken place. Mainland officials say Wu was a key member of 'Big Spender' Cheung Tze-keung's kidnap and robbery syndicate. The officials say Wu volunteered to go to Guangzhou - despite the possibility that he may face the death penalty.