A taskforce to counteract computer crime will report on possible tougher legal and administrative measures to combat hacking within four months, Secretary for Security Regina Ip Lau Suk-yee said yesterday. She said the taskforce, which had been examining possible action against computer crime since March, would consider extra measures and legal powers.'It will report in about three to four months' time,' Ms Ip said. She rejected suggestions the weekend attacks on a popular government Web site were caused by inadequate manpower to maintain cyberspace security. 'As technology advances, law enforcers worldwide face difficulties in controlling the problem,' Mrs Ip said. She warned hackers that they could face a maximum penalty of five-year imprisonment under the Crimes Ordinance, and a maximum fine of $20,000 under the Telecommunication Ordinance. 'We are keenly aware that we cannot afford to be complacent in dealing with such a fast-moving subject as cyber-crime. We need to take stock of existing laws for combatting computer crime, draw lessons from overseas developments and decide what new means are required to help us stay ahead of the game,' she said. The Interactive Government Services Directory was defaced on Saturday at 3.30pm and resumed operations at 2am on Sunday. But it was again attacked and suspended at 3pm the same day. Legislators have criticised the Government for being insufficiently aware of the problem. The interactive services directory, which offers investment advice and traffic details, remained suspended last night pending the result of an investigation.