A court has fined an ice-making factory $40,000 after a 17-year-old pupil doing a summer job at $20 an hour had his foot severed in an ice machine on his first day of work last year. Unionists yesterday said the fine was too small to reflect the seriousness of the accident. They suggested it could send a message that the Government was not paying proper attention to industrial safety. Form Five pupil Cheung Chung-leung's left leg went into a hole over a conveyor when he was trying to break an ice jam at the Seapower Resources Cold Storage and Warehousing plant in Hoi Fai Iron Factory, Kwai Chung, on July 29 last year. Chung-leung's left foot was cut off by the metal conveyor belt as he kicked at the ice. An attempt to re-attach it was unsuccessful. A Labour Department spokesman said the factory owner had been convicted earlier this month of failing to provide adequate information, training, instruction and supervision to his staff in the operation of a tube ice conveyor involved in the industrial accident. The proprietor was fined $40,000. He was also found guilty of failing to provide safe systems of work in the plant and the 'guarding of dangerous parts' of the machine. Lee Cheuk-yan, of the Confederation of Trade Unions, and Chan Kam-hong, of the Association for the Rights of Industrial Accident Victims, urged officials to appeal against what they said was too small a fine. 'It'll give a wrong message that the Government is not paying attention to industrial safety,' Mr Lee said. Mr Chan said: 'The amount of the fine is unreasonable. The accident has left the boy permanently disabled.' Seapower was charged under the Factories and Industrial Undertakings Ordinance, which carries a maximum fine of $500,000 and a six-month jail sentence, and under a sub-regulation that carries a maximum fine of $50,000 for relevant offences. Chung-leung's widowed mother has said she had not known her only son would be operating dangerous machinery at the factory. Final compensation for Chung-leung has not been settled because he is still receiving treatment. Commissioner for Labour Pamela Tan Kam Mi-wah said proprietors should not allow summer job workers under 18 to operate dangerous machinery, handle chemicals or toxic substances The Labour Department's spokesman said the accident would not have happened if the ice-making machine had had effective shields.