-
Advertisement
Bank of China (BOC)

Big banks silent on Marcos billions

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP

Two of Hong Kong's biggest banks refused to say yesterday whether any of the money looted by the Marcos dictatorship was in their accounts, a day after a court heard they were believed to hold part of a $20 billion fortune.

HSBC cited customer privacy policies and the fact the matter was before the courts as reasons not to comment, and the Bank of China did not return calls.

Eastern Court heard on Thursday how former first lady Imelda Marcos signed a deal with alleged Hong Kong bounty hunters guaranteeing them a share of any Marcos money they were able to withdraw from accounts in the SAR and on the mainland.

Advertisement

The alleged bounty hunters believed more than $20 billion had been deposited with HSBC, the Bank of China and mainland banks, the court heard. They are accused of planning to bribe a HSBC manager to release some of the money after one of them went to the US to sign a deal with Mrs Marcos.

'We don't talk about customer deposits or anything like that, and obviously there's a court case going on so there's sub judice to consider, too. There's no comment from us,' HSBC spokesman Gareth Hewett said.

Advertisement

Asked if it was possible Mrs Marcos, 71, the wife of late dictator Ferdinand - was a depositor, he said: 'I don't suppose you'd want us talking about your bank details. We just don't talk about customers' details as a bank - we never have.'

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x