Cathay Pacific launched its multimillion-dollar global advertising campaign yesterday, a day after putting it on hold because of Monday night's hostage drama at Chek Lap Kok airport. New Cathay adverts began running on Hong Kong television last night as part of a global 18-month promotion involving print media, TV and billboard adverts. They had been due to start on Tuesday, but Cathay pulled them at the last minute when a cleaner was taken hostage on one of its planes at the airport. Cathay said it was general airline practice to suspend advertising if there was any kind of negative incident involving the company's planes. 'At the time, we didn't know how the incident would unfold so it was one of the factors involved in the decision but it was also business-related,' a spokeswoman said. 'In the end the incident turned out to be an issue of general security rather than anything to do specifically with Cathay Pacific and the campaign will now go ahead.'