St Joseph's College has been declared an historical building. Founded by the Catholic church as St Saviour's College, the Kennedy Road school dates to 1864. It was bought by the De La Salle Brothers missionaries in 1875 and renamed St Joseph's College. During World War II, the college was used by the Japanese as a hospital store. It reopened in 1946.