Talks between abode-seekers and officials ended in deadlock yesterday, with the Government refusing to increase the number of mainlanders allowed in each day. It also declined to extend a residence concession to all abode claimants in Hong Kong. The refusal came as one more mainland man was arrested in connection with the fatal arson attack at Immigration Tower on August 2, which killed senior immigration officer Leung Kam-kwong, 42, and abode claimant Lam Siu-sing, 26, and injured 48 people. Led by Father Franco Mella, 19 abode claimant representatives and social activists met Deputy Secretary for Security Timothy Tong Hin-ming. They urged the Government to liaise with the mainland to increase the daily one-way permit quota of 150 for the SAR. The group also asked the Government to extend the residence concession to other abode-seekers. The concession was given last July in relation to two court cases involving about 5,000 claimants. It allows migrants to stay if they arrived between July 1, 1997, and January 29 last year and made a documented claim of right-of-abode covered by the landmark Court of Final Appeal ruling on January 29 last year. Mr Tong said 150 mainlanders arrived every day on one-way permits, about 65 of whom came on the basis of right-of-abode - namely, having one parent as a permanent Hong Kong resident. The remainder came for reasons such as separated spouses or having relatives in Hong Kong needing family care. He said quotas could not be increased as Hong Kong could not take any more migrants. Mr Tong said that while legal proceedings were in progress, the Government could not jump the gun and offer more concessions. Yesterday's meeting was the first between abode-seekers and the Government since the arson attack. Both sides described the meeting as 'friendly and pragmatic', saying they would continue to meet regularly. Father Mella urged the Government to maintain constant contact with abode claimants. 'I am not fully satisfied with the limited time given to us for today's discussions. We hope in future more talks could be arranged,' he said. Mr Tong said both sides agreed to have regular telephone contact for emergencies to prevent violence. A police spokesman said a 35-year-old man had been charged with one count of murder, arson and wounding with intent in connection with the attack. A total of 22 people have been arrested. The man, who is in hospital, will be charged in his absence at Eastern Court today.