THE family of a holiday worker who died of horrific burns in an accident at Ocean Park say the victim would be alive today if there had been fire-fighting equipment. There was no fire-fighting equipment and no supervision at the Water World Restaurant on the day Yiu Yam-wai's clothes caught fire while he tried to light a barbecue on a restaurant rooftop. Yiu, 20, sustained 50 per cent burns and died on September 7 last year in Queen Mary Hospital, eight days after the accident. The tragedy occurred the day before he was due to quit the job as a cook. At an inquest yesterday Coroner Rodney Venning returned a verdict of death by misadventure. But Yiu's elder brother, Yiu Yam-tung, said the company in question had to shoulder the responsibility for the accident. ''If there had been adequate fire-fighting equipment, my brother would not have died,'' he said. Student Law Ying-ming, 18, who worked at the site during the summer vacation, said the accident occurred after he and Yiu were told to light two barbecue stoves. He said he saw Yiu place charcoal on the stove, followed by solidified ethanol (Sterno) then another layer of charcoal. Yiu then poured alcohol on to the charcoal and lit it. The fire was not strong enough so Yiu poured alcohol into an empty can of solidified ethanol, picked it up with a pair of fire-tongs and inverted it over the fire of one stove. He did the same on the other stove. Mr Law said Yiu placed the can on the floor and poured more alcohol into the can. Flames spurted from it, catching Liu's front. ''He dashed away and tried to extinguish the fire on him. He was rolling on the floor,'' Mr Law said. Yiu was taken to hospital, where skin grafting was performed three days before his death. Mr Liu Pui-kong, a cook at the Headland restaurant in Ocean Park, said he had assigned the two men to set up the stove that day. He said he left Yiu to light the stoves himself since there was a shortage of staff. Mr Liu said he found Yiu capable of handling the job. No specific instructions were given to Yiu that day, added Mr Liu. He admitted that there was no fire extinguisher on site although such equipment was available inside a machine room on one side of the roof. Labour Department factory inspector E. Cheung said the accident was probably caused by the residual alcohol burning inside the Sterno can. Since the flame was small and bluish, Yiu did not see it, she said. She said it was unsafe to light barbecue stoves in the way Yiu did because Sterno and alcohol were highly inflammable. ''In fact, the Sterno was intended for warming buffet food with its content staying in the can rather than being spread out to burn in an uncontrolled manner,'' she said. She suggested that containers holding the alcohol and the Sterno be properly labelled in English and Chinese with appropriate warnings. During her investigations, Miss Cheung found there were no Chinese contents labels on cans of Sterno left at the restaurant. Brother Yiu Yam-tung said the lack of manpower at the restaurant was also partly to blame for the tragedy since the deceased was not supervised at the time.