The Mandatory Provident Fund Schemes Authority has received only a minimal number of complaints about the Mandatory Provident Fund (MPF) scheme, according to executive director Diana Chan. Since December 1, when the fund became compulsory, 239 complaints had been filed with the authority, Mrs Chan said. The figure, representing about 0.01 per cent of the total workforce under the scheme, was minimal, she said. Moreover, of the complaints processed so far - about 35 per cent of the total - none had been found to be a breach of law. Mrs Chan said the regulator, which dealt with more than 1,000 inquiries on a daily basis, was serious in handling complaints it received. Of the complaints, 27 per cent involved disputes about salary cuts. One fifth complained about the services of intermediaries including trustees. Non-enrolment to the scheme and disputes concerning employees being forced to become self-employed accounted for a combined 27 per cent. Others complaints included employers allegedly failing to make contributions to the scheme. Mrs Chan expected the number of complaints concerning employers' contributions would continue to grow. The MPF scheme requires all 251,000 companies without a pension plan to set up a scheme for their combined two million workforce. Regulations allowed a 60-day grace period for employers to meet the new rules. That period expired on Monday. Mrs Chan said more than 70 per cent of employers had registered to set up MPF plans and close to 80 per cent of staff would be covered by the schemes. About 90 per cent of the self-employed population had also registered. Mrs Chan said that those who failed to finish the process before the deadline had breached the law, which could mean a fine for employers of HK$5,000 per employee. Failure to make contributions to the fund would mean a more severe penalty for employers, she said.