Police are set to modify their ban on releasing the names of suspects and victims just days after an outcry over the media blackout, sources revealed yesterday. The move came as a senior officer admitted the ban, imposed on Monday, had been brought in hastily and in direct response to a complaint from a tycoon to Secretary for Security Regina Ip Lau Suk-yee. It is understood that police are considering disclosing partial names of suspects or victims - but not complete addresses of where incidents occurred. Police sources said the new arrangement would comply with the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance, but would also meet the public's right to information. The sources ruled out a return to the old system of releasing partial names, together with detailed addresses. Police insist the policy contravened the privacy ordinance, even though Privacy Commissioner for Personal Data Stephen Lau Ka-men says it does not. Police Commissioner Tsang Yam-pui yesterday said the force was putting the finishing touches to the new policy. 'The issue is not as simple as the newspapers said and the Privacy Commissioner have said. We are actively studying the Privacy Commissioner's opinions and our legal advice [given by the Department of Justice]. Under some circumstances, the police's past practice of giving out partial names and supplementary information to the media does not contravene the law but in some situations it does. We are looking into how to avoid the contravention,' he said. The Hong Kong Journalists' Association said the old practice was the best but the new system would be acceptable if implemented as described by the police sources. The association said it remained to be seen whether the change would affect the media's coverage. The association had condemned police for imposing the ban without consultation. Senior Assistant Commissioner Ng Wai-kit admitted yesterday the decision to withhold the information was made too hastily and police had not expected the move to inconvenience the media. 'We are talking about working out a solution within days, not weeks,' he said. He also acknowledged the ban came about as a direct result of a complaint made by Kenneth Fang Hung to the Secretary for Security last April. The names of the tycoon's three daughters made the headlines after their home in Osmanthus Road, Kowloon Tong, was burgled. Chief Superintendent Charles Wong Doon-yee said policy had to balance public and media interests. 'It is like a minefield,' he said when meeting editors yesterday to discuss the policy. The journalists told Mr Wong that since police had imposed the ban, reporters had been unable to check with the Government Information Service on the condition of accident victims because they could not provide names. Mr Wong said police were considering implementing a new arrangement in stages to help media covering crime news. Discussions with editors also included whether or not it was appropriate for the police to confirm identities of suspects and victims named by the media.