Garage owner Wong Chi-keung, 48, suffered burns to his hands and legs and his three-year-old son and 12-year-old daughter were overcome by smoke after an explosion and subsequent fire in a garage in Tak Yan Street, Wan Chai. A woman passerby, 45, suffered minor leg injuries. Mr Wong was in a serious condition in Queen Mary Hospital. Hong Kong's leading sauce manufacturer has launched a damage-control advertising campaign after a safety scare led to the removal of its products from many overseas supermarket shelves. The Lee Kum Kee adverts have appeared in nine newspapers declaring the company 'the most reliable manufacturer of seasoning products'. It plans to place similar advertisements in other newspapers internationally. 'The UK Food Standards Agency released its most recent report on 17 July, 2001, to substantiate the fact that Lee Kum Kee products are in compliance with the proposed European Union limit for 3-MCPD,' it said. Although the agency last week declared Lee Kum Kee's products safe, another manufacturer, Tung Chun, is still awaiting tests that it expects will also clear its Gold Label soy sauce of having high levels of the chemicals 3-MCPD or 1,3-DCP, both of which have been linked to liver cancer. The two Hong Kong manufacturers say it is premature to estimate how much the safety scare has cost them, but acknowledge the situation has affected the Chinese food industry overseas. Lee Kum Kee spokesman Jason Beaumont said the early signs were 'not as bad as expected' but it was too early to comment on the financial impact. 'There's been a concern more at the trade or export level than in Hong Kong because our brand is well known here,' he said. Mr Beaumont said it was ignorance that had led to the British press carrying headlines such as 'Chinese food will kill you'. He said the agency's backing had 'done us a world of good'. The agency also has formally recognised mainland brand Pearl River Bridge as complying with safety standards. A total of 22 sauces and seasoning products were cleared from supermarket shelves in Britain and banned in Australia, New Zealand, the Middle East and some other Asian countries following the scare.