Police in Hong Kong said yesterday they had stepped up protection for sensitive targets in the wake of the military action against Afghanistan. The force's Special Duties Unit - known as the 'Flying Tigers' - the Police Tactical Unit, the Emergency Unit and the Explosive Ordnance Disposal Bureau have been placed on high alert to respond to any terror strikes prompted by the US attacks. Security details were released as Chief Executive Tung Chee-hwa said Hong Kong would work with the US to support the fight against terrorism. 'Acts of terrorism are totally unacceptable, and we support international efforts to combat terrorism,' he said. 'We are acting in accordance with the central Government's directive to enact the latest United Nations resolutions. We are also liaising with the United States and other international organisations closely in the fight against acts of terrorism.' Deputy Police Commissioner Lau Yuk-kuen said: 'The police have not received any information or intelligence which indicates Hong Kong is a target of terrorist attacks.' But he called on the public to stay calm, saying the force would remain vigilant as anyone could become a victim of terrorism. He said it had taken a number of measures to protect the interests of overseas nationals in Hong Kong. 'We've increased our presence round sensitive buildings and protection for sensitive personnel in Hong Kong,' Mr Lau said. Enhanced security measures covered strategic locations such as the airport and the interests of the US and other countries in Hong Kong, including schools. The US Consulate in Hong Kong was also reviewing security, a spokeswoman said yesterday. US officials in Hong Kong had not received advance notice on the timing or nature of the strikes, she said, but key representatives were woken and informed shortly afterwards. A spokesman for the Airport Authority said Chek Lap Kok would continue to operate under the heightened security procedures introduced after the September 11 terror attacks on the US. 'Airport security has never been better than it is at the moment worldwide,' he said. Mr Lau said if necessary, the authority would ask the Hong Kong Garrison of the PLA to help, in accordance with the Basic Law. The force had also set up a notification system with government departments, consulates and public institutions in the SAR to allow the police to respond immediately to any emergency. Mr Tung and his top aides said the economic price the SAR would have to pay for the war had yet to be assessed. 'When there are international activities of this sort that heighten tension, obviously this might affect the global economy,' he said. 'We are watching carefully how this might affect Hong Kong.' Financial Secretary Antony Leung Kam-chung said the start of the war could dispel uncertainties in the market. 'With the start of the military action, I think this factor will be eliminated,' he said. Leung Chun-ying, Convenor of the Executive Council, also said that the SAR was safe from terrorists but the war would affect the economy. 'The start of the war will inevitably cast shadows on Hong Kong's economy . . . But we have yet to assess the level of impact on Hong Kong, and whether it will last,' he said. Deputy Secretary for Security Timothy Tong Hin-ming said the Security Bureau and the police had a 'very good' mechanism to prevent terrorism. It is understood the force has reviewed its counter-terrorism contingency measures since the terror attacks in the US by adding possible scenarios of terrorist strikes. Earlier in the day, Mr Tung met US Consul-General Michael Klosson to discuss security measures in the SAR. Speaking after the meeting, Mr Klosson said: 'We are very heartened by the very strong support Hong Kong has given.'