The White House yesterday unveiled a new hit-list of wanted terrorists, headed by Osama bin Laden, but it is a document that stops short of linking them to the September 11 attacks on New York and Washington. The list of 22 men, including the exiled Saudi's top two deputies and several members of his al-Qaeda network, is an attempt to mirror the FBI's famous '10 Most Wanted' line-up - a national institution that has featured bin Laden for three years already. The list has been produced jointly by the White House, the FBI and the State Department. The administration of President George W. Bush wants to use it to spark an unprecedented international manhunt. It hopes a US$5 million (HK$39 million) reward for information leading to the arrest of any of the 22 will produce leads worldwide. Even though Mr Bush has said he wants bin Laden 'dead or alive', the list is geared to bringing the suspects before US courts and is linked to old criminal investigations rather than the 'new war' underway in Afghanistan. The list - apparently for legal reasons - sticks to previous indictments against the suspects, including 'conspiracy to murder' charges against bin Laden related to several killings, including the 1998 US embassy bombings in Kenya and Tanzania. He is listed as 'armed and extremely dangerous'. Even as the military strikes unfold across Afghanistan, US officials have so far refused to detail what they insist is 'clear and compelling evidence' against bin Laden in relation to the attacks on the Pentagon and the World Trade Centre. They say they do not want to threaten the security of ongoing investigations. They have yet to issue formal indictments against bin Laden, while evidence issued by British Prime Minister Tony Blair last week carried warnings that it would not stand up in court. Also listed for the bombings in Kenya and Tanzania are Egyptians Ayman al-Zawahri and Mohammed Atef, widely considered to be bin Laden's most trusted assistants. The pair were also named by Mr Blair as involved in conspiring to carry out the September 11 attacks. Other al-Qaeda suspects include Ahmed Khalfan Ghailani, Sheikh Ahmed Salim Swedan and Saif al-Adel. Another suspect is Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, indicted over a foiled 1995 plot to bomb airliners in the Far East. The Asian link has sparked hopes from the FBI that the list will jog memories across the region. FBI field offices in Hong Kong, Tokyo, Bangkok, Seoul and Manila will be co-ordinating local leads. The other terrorist attacks mentioned in the list are the first bombing of the World Trade Centre in New York in 1993 that left six people dead, the 1996 Khobar Towers bombing near Dhahran in Saudi Arabia that killed 19 American airmen and wounded nearly 400 other people and the hijacking of TWA Flight 847 from Athens to Rome in 1985 during which one American was killed. Releasing the list, Mr Bush said it represented America's ongoing fight against 'hatred and terror'. Appealing to America's highest motives, he said: 'It is our calling.' One FBI source said: 'It is essentially a publicity drive. We want to get the attention of the world with this, knowing that our wanted lists work wonders within the US.'