A mainland tourism chief yesterday told Hong Kong to build new attractions or mainland holidaymakers would not return. The territory should draw strength from its unique traditions and develop more cultural attractions, said Guangdong Provincial Tourism Administration chairman Zheng Tongyang after a three-day tour of the SAR. 'Most people in Guangzhou have already visited Hong Kong. Very often they just go to Causeway Bay, Mongkok or the Big Buddha. If Hong Kong does not add new elements, it will be very hard to attract these people to come to visit again,' said Mr Zheng, who was invited by the Hong Kong Tourism Board. 'The tourism industry needs to constantly develop itself, add various new features that suit different tastes - like the Halloween party [starting today] at Ocean Park. I believe a lot of people would be interested in it.' In August, the Hong Kong Japanese Tour Operators' Association, which brings a million visitors to Hong Kong each year, wrote to Chief Executive Tung Chee-hwa warning that the SAR would lose its appeal unless it did more to develop heritage tourism. The number of Japanese arrivals dropped from a peak of 2.8 million in 1996 to 1.3 million last year, mostly due to the Asian economic slump. Mr Zheng praised the initiative put forward by Mr Tung to abolish the quota system, which restricted the daily number of mainland visitors on tours to 1,500, but said it would not help much. 'The decision alone will not cause a drastic change because the restriction was never the reason for Guangdong people not coming to Hong Kong. The most important thing is still to see if it can develop new attractions,' Mr Zheng said. He said the price of tours to Hong Kong had fallen significantly since August and travel agents' profit margins had dropped from $300 a traveller to $100. 'The room for further price reduction is limited. If the price went too low, it would be unhealthy and could affect quality,' Mr Zheng said. Hong Kong, Guangdong and Macau should improve their tourism development to make the Pearl River Delta a world-renowned holiday destination. The number of tourists visiting Hong Kong has fallen 3.6 per cent since the September 11 terror attacks in the US. Visitors from the United States are down more than 27 per cent. The Hong Kong Tourism Board will release the latest visitor numbers next week. Che Man-yuk, executive member of the Hong Kong Association of Registered Tour Co-ordinators, said the group would organise district tours for Hong Kong people to encourage them to spend their holidays in the territory.