A man accused of leading the Immigration Tower arson attack told officers before the fatal fire to remove him first so the other protesters would follow, a jury heard yesterday. Immigration officers did not accept Sze Kwan-lung's offer, although he turned out to be the first of the 23 right-of-abode claimants to be taken away, Immigration Officer Chiu Wing-tong said. As a team of six officers were moving Sze, the rest of the group stood up to form a circle in the middle of the room, Mr Chiu said. Mr Chiu's colleagues stormed into the room to surround the protesters, telling them to sit down. Seconds later came a 'bomb' sound, he said. Standing outside the room, Mr Chiu did not see how the blaze started at 6pm on August 2 last year. Sze, 24, Pang Hon-kwan, 40, Fu Mo, 38, Lam Hing-luen, 27, brothers Yeung Yee-ping, 29, and Yeung Yee-yim, 38, and Chau Hung-chuen, 30, have pleaded not guilty to two counts of murder and one of arson. The victims are migrant Lam Siu-sing, 26, and senior immigration officer Leung Kam-kwong, 42, who died in hospital on August 11 last year. Mr Chiu denied seeing a petition letter. He said he and two other officers interviewed Sze at 3pm to find out about their protest and to work out a solution. Sze denied being the group's representative. Mr Chiu said Sze had warned during the interview that 'you people will not smoothly remove us this time'. But Mr Chiu later said he could not be sure if Sze had said 'us' or 'them'. The trial continues before Mr Justice Thomas Gall.