I refer to the article by Alvin Sallay headlined 'Butani blasts Aussie 'old boys' and organisers' (South China Morning Post, November 15), regarding the purported remarks of Papu Butani in respect of the International Cricket Sixes at Kowloon Cricket Club. Mr Butani has indicated that the tone of the article did not reflect what he said. His comments praising the tournament were not published. It is a matter of record that the event was a great success and was enjoyed by all who took part, including players and spectators. Wasim Akram was reported to have been 'unhappy at a number of things'. Akram went out of his way to tell me how much he had enjoyed the tournament and his entire stay here and even suggested that the Hong Kong Cricket Association (HKCA) tour Pakistan to help improve our standards. Jagmohan Dalmiya, along with other senior Asian Cricket Council officers, was in fact invited to the event and the International Cricket Council (ICC) was consulted and sanctioned the Sixes. A little over 80 per cent of tickets (not 60-70 per cent) were sold. Internationally-respected cricketers like Barry Richards and our own Dermot Reeve, were invited and were here to help with the 'virtually non-existent public relations machinery'. Yes, it would have been preferable to have a younger and stronger Australian presence, but this was simply not possible given the current Test series ongoing with New Zealand. Equally, we would have loved to have Sunil Gavaskar and indeed many others like him, but budgets can only be stretched so far and financial prudence was necessary to ensure that the greatest benefit from the tournament would go to those people for whom it is intended, namely, Hong Kong youngsters, through our schools and youth development schemes. I am not trying to say improvements could not have been made and we will fully investigate all areas where it is thought that changes may be beneficial. We would welcome comments from interested parties and will, where feasible, try to incorporate their suggestions into next year's event. MIKE WALSH Chairman Hong Kong Cricket Association Alvin Sallay replies: The tone of the article reflects Papu Butani's views and is based on what he said. The ICC's sanction is nothing new. It has been given in the past. What Mr Butani said was that the HKCA missed a golden opportunity to build personal ties for the future by failing to invite Sunil Gavaskar, a leading ICC official. South Africa, Sri Lanka, England and India, like Australia, are all involved in Test series. But they still sent 'younger and stronger' sides.