Xinjiang authorities have ordered a state of high alert in the run-up to the 10th anniversary of a separatist rebellion. Xinjiang party secretary Wang Lequan made the call at a conference on Saturday for cadres from across the region, saying the area's stability faced a 'severe and complicated situation', the China News Service reported yesterday. Deputy party chief Zhou Shengtao, who is in charge of security, used the meeting to order a province-wide manhunt for separatists, gangsters and members of the outlawed Falun Gong meditation group, the report said. Cadres also were ordered to form working groups and visit villagers to win popularity among the people. In the meantime, the authorities have also vowed to smash religious radicals. The crackdown officially began yesterday and would continue until Chinese New Year, Mr Zhou said. On February 5, 1992, separatists were behind one day of attacks that included a series of explosions on buses, at a cinema and at private houses in Urumqi. Three people were killed and more than 20 were injured in the attacks. On the anniversary of the blasts in 1997, a riot erupted in Yining. Authorities reported that seven people were killed, but separatists alleged the real death toll was much higher. Stability in Xinjiang had been rocked in the past decade by a series of bombings, assassinations, arsons, poisonings, riots and rebellions, Xinjiang authorities said. Xinjiang authorities have identified Uygur separatists, Islamic religious radicals and 'terrorists' fighting for an East Turkestan Republic as the chief targets in the latest crackdown.