Animal welfare groups have urged the Government to ban the toxic insecticide carbofuran, used in the spate of dog poisonings in Mid-Levels. Four dogs died and at least five others were taken ill after eating insecticide-laced chicken in the Bowen Road/Black's Link area earlier this month. The poisonings date back to 1989 and are suspected to be the work of one person. Police said last week the common poison used in the attacks was carbofuran. It is a registered pesticide and can be freely distributed and used in the SAR, a spokesman from the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department said. The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) and dog owners met police yesterday to ask about the investigation and measures taken to catch the perpetrator. SPCA executive director Chris Hanselman said: 'What's come out of our inquiries is that the poison that's being used on the animals is carbofuran. It's a very toxic insecticide.' He said carbofuran had been banned in the United States and Japan, while China was considering restricting its use because of its high toxicity. 'We want to know why it's being imported into Hong Kong when we are not an agrarian city. We don't have any farms here,' he added. Mr Hanselman also said the society intended to start a campaign to try to catch the culprit. 'We are going to ask for people to get their comments and thoughts on this and send them to: email@example.com .' South China Morning Post readers continued to express their outrage at the poisonings. 'I understand the grief of all who lose their dogs in an untimely and painful manner. It must be that much worse, however, to know that the death was caused through a malicious act by a deranged human,' one reader said. Another suggested that owners leash their dogs. A third reader said: 'I see many people walking their pets in that area not carrying pooper-scoopers. These irresponsible and inconsiderate pet owners might be partly responsible for the deaths of the pets.'