About 110 mainland children seeking right of abode have secured places at the five schools that are defying the Government's ban on their education. Now more mainland children who hold recognisance letters while awaiting a decision on their abode claims are coming forward to seek places. The Security Bureau said yesterday that 17 more mainland children had applied for schooling over the past week, taking the total to 187. Of the 187, 60 have not yet secured places. Three schools of the Grantham College of Education Past Students' Association - in Whampoa, Tseung Kwan O and Kwun Tong - which announced on December 10 that they would defy the government ban, have received more than 50 applications. Headmaster of the Whampoa school Pun Tin-chi said it would provide schooling for the mainland children who had been granted temporary stay, regardless of whether they were involved in any court cases. 'Barring them from school is against basic human rights,' Mr Pun said. The three schools will start classes for the children after the Christmas holidays. The Catholic Education Office said on Friday that two of its schools - Ng Wah College's Primary Morning School in San Po Kong and St Joan of Arc Primary School in North Point, also would take in right of abode children. The North Point school, which will start classes tomorrow, has received about 30 applications, while the San Po Kong school has 24, including some from children living as far away as Fanling, Tuen Mun and Tin Shui Wai. Tsang Sau-king, headmistress of Ng Wah College's Primary Morning School, said it would try to clarify through the Catholic Education Office which of the mainland children were involved in right of abode disputes. 'These children presented us with a recognisance letter. But we can't tell simply from the document if they're involved in court cases,' Ms Tsang said. She said her school would take care of the applicants before their status became clear, by arranging induction classes on Thursday and inviting them to their Christmas party on Friday. She said the school then needed to work out the children's schooling level, taking into account their language ability, age and the number of vacancies available. However, she stressed the school was only taking the children as 'sit-in' students, not as formally enrolled pupils who would need to follow rigidly the rules of admission. Among the 24 applicants at the school were Tam Kwok-kuen, seven, whose grandmother arrived at the school at 4am yesterday - five hours before the registration began. 'I was worried that there would be too many people,' Kwok-kuen's grandmother said. 'Kwok-kuen was so happy he could not sleep last night.'