Chief Executive Tung Chee-hwa yesterday ruled out opening a Las Vegas-style casino to help generate more revenue to ease budget deficits. But he hinted that legalising football betting might be considered if other ways to curb the rampant growth of illegal gambling activities failed. The chairman of the Travel Industry Council, Ronnie Yuen Ka-chai, suggested on Thursday that a casino should be built on Lantau to attract tourists. But at a meeting in his election office in St John's Building, Central, yesterday Mr Tung said the casino was 'not suitable for Hong Kong'. A government source told the South China Morning Post the idea had been killed by Vice-Premier Qian Qichen's opposition to it in October 1999, although Donald Tsang Yam-kuen, who was then financial secretary, was keen to explore it. Mr Tsang made a fact-finding trip to Las Vegas on casino and entertainment complexes two weeks before Mr Qian spoke. Mr Tung said the Government would study how to 'control' illegal football betting after other means to plug loopholes failed. 'Our first step is to educate youth about the negative effects of gambling. Secondly, we will find ways to crack down on illegal soccer gambling activities.' Asked if new measures would be adopted before the World Cup Finals this year, he replied: 'We will still have the finals every four years - and also the English Premier League and Italian soccer.'