A taxi driver yesterday won more than $1.4 million in damages for negligence from a Chinese medicine practitioner who was found liable for causing injury by improperly treating his haemorrhoids. Tai Kut-sing applied a cocktail of poison to Choi Chun-kwan, also known as Choi Hok-lun, which damaged his skin tissue, a mainland expert told the Court of First Instance last month. The cocktail contained arsenic, said Professor Zhang Li-hin, of the Guangzhou Chinese Medicine University. Five deaths had been reported on the mainland among patients who had used it. The court heard the practitioner had assured the plaintiff that his 'unique' treatment guaranteed full recovery. Deputy Judge Esther Toh Lye-ping said she accepted the opinions of two other experts that Mr Choi's injuries were a direct result of the defendant's negligent and improper treatment. The judge awarded Mr Choi $1,474,602 for loss of earnings, pain and suffering and medical expenses. The court heard the impact of the injuries had affected Mr Choi's relationship with his wife and they are now divorced. He could not work to his full capacity as a taxi driver because of his need for frequent toilet breaks. Mr Choi told the court he sought treatment from the defendant in his Aberdeen clinic in June 1994, for which he paid $8,000. A month later, complications developed and Mr Choi was treated again by Mr Tai. But he suffered pain so intense that he collapsed in the street. That night he was admitted to hospital. He later underwent an operation.