A UN rights committee has agreed to hear complaints about the right-of-abode saga in Geneva this month, according to the director of the Human Rights Monitor. Law Yuk-kai has asked the UN Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights to intervene after the SAR Government vowed to deport all claimants who were denied abode in a Court of Final Appeal ruling in January. Speaking in Geneva, Mr Law said the committee had previously expressed concern. He said the latest move was significant because the committee would not be receiving an update on the issue from the Government until next year. 'In their previous observation, they were quite critical of the Hong Kong Government's handling of this issue, and they have highlighted to them that they should pay attention to these rights,' he said in an interview with RTHK. Mr Law will present a report on the abode seekers to the committee at a hearing on April 29. But the director of the Society for Community Organisation, Ho Hei-wah, said he would not attend the hearing because he doubted if the committee could help the abode seekers. Mr Ho, who has been fighting for the abode seekers' rights, said even if the committee made its recommendations, the SAR Government would ignore them. Human rights and religious groups petitioned UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan to ask the Government to allow about 11,000 mainlanders to stay after the court ruling. The Human Rights Monitor also submitted a report to the UN on the SAR Government's denial of education to 187 mainland children who were awaiting the results of right of abode applications. More than 4,000 migrants are defying orders to leave the SAR after a March 31 deadline expired.