Human rights activists who plan to raise the right-of-abode issue at a United Nations meeting this week will use press reports on last week's police crackdown on claimants in an attempt to highlight the escalating problem. Non-affiliated legislator Margaret Ng Ngoi-yee, who will attend the Geneva meeting which starts today, said yesterday she believed the Government's 'heavy-handed' operation in clearing abode seekers from Chater Garden last Thursday would strengthen their case. A group of advocates, including Human Rights Monitor director Law Yuk-kai and Father Franco Mella, who has been helping the abode seekers, will attend the meeting of the United Nations Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights. The group will ask the committee to put pressure on the Government to allow thousands of abode seekers to stay. Before leaving for Geneva, Ms Ng said that she would present the committee with press reports on the incident, including photographs showing police handcuffing two journalists. 'I think what happened last week will make my case stronger as it highlighted the fact that the Government's hardline attitude has got to a point where it has lost its reason,' she said. Members of a group for abode seekers' parents last night decided not to apply for a site to stage further protests, saying they did not want a repeat of last Thursday's incident in Chater Garden. Group representative Cheung Cho-sang said members felt they would be safer at home. Mr Cheung said at a meeting last night of 500 people at the Tai Wo Hau Caritas Centre that the group would organise more meetings, similar to last night's, to inform members of progress on the abode issue. A candle-light protest is to be staged tomorrow night at Chater Garden.