Two protesters yesterday attempted to break through a police cordon and almost got into the venue where President Jiang Zemin was officiating at the inaugural ceremony for Chief Executive Tung Chee-hwa. Shouting slogans of 'Down with Jiang Zemin' and holding a newspaper article about the Tiananmen Square massacre on June 4, 1989, protesters Lee Kin-yun and Lui Yuk-lin got as far as the main entrance to the Convention and Exhibition Centre at about 9.45am. However, security guards locked the doors and dozens of police arrived to keep them out. Mr Lee was then carried away by five security guards while Ms Lui was escorted by several guards to a side exit. Police then took the pair back to a protest zone outside Immigration Tower. The incident happened about an hour after the pair and about a dozen April 5th Action Group members clashed with police after being told they had to stay inside the demonstration zone on the footpath outside Central Plaza in Harbour Road. Mr Lee and Ms Lui said they went to the convention centre to voice their opinions as the Central Plaza protest zone was too far away to been seen and heard by the guests attending the ceremony. When the pair tried to go by taxi to the Shui On Centre near the convention centre at about 10.50am, police stopped the cab outside Central Plaza. The pair, who were stranded in the taxi for about 15 minutes, complained of being detained illegally by the police. A police spokesman later dismissed suggestions that security was lax. He said protection for the ceremony was sufficient as no one had broken into their security zone at the convention centre's new extension, where the ceremony took place. He maintained that the police had tried to accommodate the protesters. In an earlier protest by the April 5th Action Group, members carried a black wooden coffin and shouted slogans calling for the end of one-party rule and the downfall of state leaders behind the 1989 crackdown. Police examined the wooden coffin at one point for safety reasons. They accused the group of breaking the law by using a loudhailer during the flag-raising ceremony at 8am. Police ordered the protesters to stay at the Central Plaza's protest zone, but activist Leung Kwok-hung said the zone was 200 metres further from the dignitaries than they were allowed in 1997. He said this showed how freedom in Hong Kong had been eroded over the past five years. Mr Leung announced an end to their protest at 8.25am. Meanwhile, about 300 people marched from Statue Square in Central to the Central Government Offices yesterday afternoon. The group, which was led by the Confederation of Trade Unions, called on government officials to create more jobs, scrap plans to contract out government work and not to cut welfare payments to the elderly.