Chief Executive Tung Chee-hwa yesterday defended a decision to bar more than 100 overseas Falun Gong members from entering Hong Kong to join protest activities during the weekend's fifth-anniversary celebrations. His defence came as Taipei media revealed yesterday about 30 Taiwanese were barred from entering Hong Kong after being mistakenly identified as Falun Gong members because they shared the same names as those on a government blacklist. Mr Tung said of the ban: 'We have the responsibility to maintain social stability during the anniversary celebrations. We do not want outsiders to come here to disturb Hong Kong. 'I believe what we have done is supported by the majority of the population, and has the understanding of the international community. If they want to put on a show, they should do that in their own countries.' Taiwan's Liberty Times newspaper reported scores of Taiwanese were turned back at Chek Lap Kok airport on Friday, along with about 100 Falun Gong practitioners coming from overseas to protest against President Jiang Zemin. Mr Jiang was in Hong Kong to officiate at the swearing in of Mr Tung as Chief Executive for a second five-year term. Taiwan Falun Gong spokesman Chang Ching-hsi said yesterday the tourists were locked in a room with the sect's members before being sent back to Taiwan. 'Some of them were coming to Hong Kong for sightseeing, some were en route to the mainland. But unfortunately we were on the same plane and some of them have the same names as our members,' said Mr Chang. 'I wonder how the Hong Kong government can safeguard the one country, two systems [policy] with such actions.' Mr Chang also alleged some of the sect's Taiwanese members had been manhandled by immigration officers. He claimed they had been placed in sacks and forcibly carried to a plane. Director of Immigration Lai Tung-kwok declined to comment directly on the case, but said there were many reasons for a visitor to be denied entry to the SAR. He rejected claims immigration officers had treated some overseas Falun Gong members roughly. 'Immigration officers are duty-bound to carry out their duties courteously, reasonably and fairly. Persons who are refused entry to Hong Kong are required to leave as soon as possible. We do not use any excessive force in performing our duties,' Mr Lai said. Leaders of the Hong Kong tourism industry refused to comment on the incident, saying it was up to the government to decide who should be let in.