The developer of Tokyo Disneyland secured a deal to 'protect' it in the event that the US entertainment giant decided to build a second theme park in Japan, it was revealed yesterday. Keisuke Imai, a spokesman for Oriental Land Company, the operator and builder of Tokyo Disneyland, said yesterday: 'When we signed the contract with Disney they agreed to inform us ahead if they planned to build a similar theme park in Japan. 'We wanted to protect ourselves, that's why we struck this agreement with Walt Disney before we proceeded with the project.' However, he would not reveal if this arrangement included an exclusivity provision - as negotiators behind Paris Disneyland secured - or what penalties, if any, were attached in the event of a second park being built. The South China Morning Post revealed last week that Shanghai has signed a framework agreement with Walt Disney for the development of a theme park there. Hong Kong legislators have expressed anger at the news and fear the SAR will struggle to recover its $22 billion investment in what was seen as a generous deal extended to Disney. Tourism Commissioner Rebecca Lai Ko Wing-yee confirmed on Wednesday that Hong Kong did not seek an exclusivity provision in its joint-venture agreement with Disney. Legislator Albert Chan Wai-yip said last night: 'It's clear now that the Hong Kong government was not as competent as Tokyo and Paris when it negotiated with Walt Disney for the development of a theme park in Hong Kong. This is lamentable. 'Without any binding [exclusivity] provision, it's obvious that Walt Disney has no obligation to inform Hong Kong if it has any intention to build a Disney project in Shanghai.' Another executive at Tokyo Disneyland - which was built in 1983 - expressed fears that the combination of a Hong Kong theme park and a possible Shanghai project might affect tourist arrivals in Japan. 'Our newest offering to tourists, the [HK$21.9 billion] DisneySea, opened only last September and we're concerned whether we can recoup our investment in six years, as we projected, if we have to compete with two Disney projects in China,' he said. 'Apart from Japanese people, we've been targeting Hong Kong and other Asian tourists. We might see a fall in visitors when the Disney projects in Hong Kong and Shanghai open up.' Walt Disney has refused to confirm the purported theme park in Shanghai. Mike Rowse, director of Invest Hong Kong who was the SAR's chief negotiator with Disney, declined to comment last night.