A student abode seeker ordered back to the mainland despite winning a Form Six place in Hong Kong returned to Shenzhen yesterday, ending her three-year fight for residency. Cheung Siu-ping, 20, gave her mother a hug at the family's Tin Shui Wai home, wiping away the tears on her face, before setting off for the immigration office at the former Kai Tak airport with her father, Cheung Cho-sang. Ms Cheung, who was ordered to leave last Thursday despite winning a Form Six place through her exam results, had been allowed to stay until yesterday after she became ill. Immediately on her return to Shenzhen, Ms Cheung asked the Public Security Bureau to allow her to apply for a one-way permit to Hong Kong. However, the bureau rejected her plea on the grounds that she was over the age limit of 18 to obtain a one-way permit under the dependent children category. 'I'll have to accept the reality. I'll continue to work hard on my studies and plan for my future,' Ms Cheung said, adding she would try to find a place at a Shenzhen school, even if it meant repeating up to two years' education to make up for the differences between the Hong Kong and mainland systems. Ms Cheung, who came to Hong Kong in July 1999 to fight for right of abode, urged Hong Kong students to treasure their opportunities to study in the SAR. 'They should treasure their chances, or else they will regret it in future,' she said. Her father, who is also a vice-chairman of a right of abode parents group, said he would also have to accept the reality. 'I've been fighting hard for my daughter and others over the last three years. Although my daughter has failed to get an identity card, I don't have any grievances,' he said. Ms Cheung dined with her mainland family members yesterday, including her brother, who was repatriated last month after failing in his claim for right of abode. In a written reply to an 11th-hour appeal on Ms Cheung's behalf last week, Secretary for Security Regina Ip Lau Suk-yee said outstanding academic performance alone did not constitute sufficient grounds to exercise her discretionary powers to allow Ms Cheung to stay. In all, the Immigration Department has granted permission for 147 mainlanders holding valid bail documents to attend schools, and refused 22, saying they would have to be removed soon once their parents had completed the legal proceedings. Of the 22, a total of 14 are due to attend special classes run by the Hong Kong Catholic Diocese, starting on Monday. An Immigration Department spokesman added that repatriated students could continue to study on the mainland in accordance with its rules. Nearly 2,000 failed abode seekers have returned to the mainland since the grace period ended on April 1.