More than half the people eligible to buy a Home Ownership Scheme (HOS) flat in a new project have declined the offer in the aftermath of an intensive campaign against the sales by private developers. The Housing Authority said 399 letters were sent to qualified buyers to select flats in Lok Fu Centre this week. But only 172 transactions were sealed after the first two days of selection. The outstanding 227 buyers failed to select flats, effectively disqualifying them from the scheme. On Wednesday, when the flat selection began, staff from Cheung Kong (Holdings) were seen canvassing prospective buyers. The company also sent shuttle buses to the estate to take people to its Hampton Place project in west Kowloon. Cheung Kong also has mounted an aggressive drive to tempt HOS owners to sell their subsidised flats back to the government and buy Hampton Place units. A special package of sweeteners, estimated by the developer to be worth seven per cent of Hampton Place's property value, is being offered to the first 50 scheme owners who switch to the project. In its Banyan Garden sale in Cheung Sha Wan last month, the developer offered scheme owners a different incentive package ranging from a cash rebate and free hotel accommodation to edible oil and sauce. Housing Authority member Wong Kwan yesterday hit out at the developer, saying the government must consider cutting HOS prices. The government has said it will make a decision on whether to retain or abolish the scheme by the end of this year.