Tangshan town residents yesterday struggled to come to terms with the deaths of mainly schoolboys in the Nanjing food poisoning tragedy. Unconfirmed reports said more than 100 people may have died after eating tainted food for breakfast from a Heshengyuan Soy Milk shop in Nanjing on Saturday. The victims bought fried dough sticks, sesame cakes and soy bean milk. Most victims were schoolboys at the Zuochang Secondary School and migrant workers from a construction site. Heshengyuan supplied breakfast to the school and many schoolchildren were found sick and vomiting on the campus. A worker who lives in Yanjia village, 2km from Tangshan town, said a 10-year-old relative died on the spot after eating a fried dough stick. 'Five to six people from my village got killed,' he said. 'The youngest is 1.5 years old and the oldest in his 70s. 'It is so terrible. I went to the hospital today and people told me there was blood everywhere in the restaurant and schools where the people were poisoned. 'The poison had to be strong to have killed people that way.' There was a lot of speculation about the cause of the tragedy. A spokesman of Nanjing Provincial Government yesterday confirmed that they had found rat poison in the food. Most food stalls in Tangshan were closed yesterday and residents drank only bottled water. One fearful resident said: 'September 14 is an unlucky date, you see. It could have been chosen for the act.' A housewife said she heard the ambulance sirens throughout yesterday. 'I heard that some people have fallen sick today,' she said. 'Perhaps it takes time for the poison to have an effect on some people.' Staff of a residential complex in Tangshan said the water supply was stopped for a few hours on Saturday. A manager told residents in the complex to drink bottled water because he feared tap water could be contaminated. The water supply was restored yesterday. One of the staff members said: 'Three residents in our complex suddenly bled from their noses and mouths only a few minutes after eating breakfast on Saturday. Luckily we acted quickly and sent them to hospitals. I heard they are in a stable condition.' Another Tangshan resident whose brother suffered poisoning returned home late last night but said he was too tired to think about compensation. 'My brother just regained consciousness. He passed out last night [Saturday] and we rushed him to the hospital,' he said. 'I have no time to think about compensation now. I have been in the hospital for so long and I have not eaten yet.' One resident said the situation was now relatively stable, although many residents were busy looking after sick relatives and friends. 'I think people have no time to complain or think about other things now,' he said. 'It is hard to say what they will do a few days later.'