A 20-year-old abode seeker who became deeply depressed after failing to win the right to stay in Hong Kong with his parents has jumped to his death from their Sha Tin home. The latest suicide has brought the number of abode seekers who have died during their fight for residency to five in the past two years. Hui Lau-fai killed himself on Thursday, jumping from his 22nd-floor flat in Ma On Shan at 10am. He left a note. His brother, Hui Tung-hung, 28, said Lau-fai was fit and healthy before he came to Hong Kong from the mainland to fight for right of abode in February 2000 with three other siblings. Mr Hui said his younger brother was disillusioned by the failed abode fight and entered hospital last November, when he was diagnosed with mental illness. His brother had been recovering and was allowed home for the Mid-Autumn Festival last week. 'When he returned home, he was upset to find his other brothers and sister had returned to the mainland after losing their abode fight,' Mr Hui said. Lau-fai feared that he would be removed to the mainland after his scheduled hospital discharge next month. The other claimants who died included Lam Siu-sing, 25, who was killed during an arson attack at Immigration Tower in Wan Chai on August 2, 2000. Another two claimants committed suicide in 2000. A fourth claimant died after being beaten by gangsters in a dispute last year. A Security Bureau spokeswoman last night said government social workers were available to offer counselling services to those who needed help. More than 2,300 claimants have returned to the mainland since the grace period ended on April 1.