Villagers opposed to the planned 'two-head' rural election system yesterday promised to refrain from storming a Heung Yee Kuk meeting next week, when the body is expected to rubber-stamp the controversial proposal. The pledge came as Daniel Lam Wai-keung, vice-chairman of the kuk - the body that represents rural interests - said protesters would be barred from the kuk complex in Kowloon Tong during the meeting on Tuesday. At a meeting of rural leaders yesterday, members of the Association of New Territories Indigenous Residents decided that they would mobilise at least 100 village heads to stage a protest. But Wanko Tang Tsun-wan, spokesman for the group, said villagers have agreed that the protest would be a 'civilised' one, even if they were barred. 'We have decided not to take any radical actions, such as setting fire to the kuk complex or beating up anyone,' he said. 'We have already told members that we will not be held responsible if they start any trouble.' About the same number of villagers also plan to protest outside Legco when lawmakers discuss the plan on Wednesday. Last year, more than 100 police officers were mobilised to control 150 villagers who tried to storm a kuk meeting. The row started after a Court of Final Appeal decision in December 2000 found the existing election arrangements for village heads - giving exclusive voting and running rights for indigenous residents - were unlawful. Last month, the government announced the plan to elect two heads for each village, in which the leader representing indigenous residents - those with village lineage dating to 1898 - would deal with traditional affairs such as burial grounds, with the other handling general affairs. More than 4,500 people staged a protest last week, condemning the proposal as a 'sell-out'.