The Guangdong Public Security Bureau is following up the case of two young abode seekers who were removed to Shenzhen last month but cannot attend school because they lack identity documents. The move came after the South China Morning Post reported last Friday that Ho Po-kwan, 13, and her brother, Ho Chi-sheung, 12, take down their lessons over the phone from their former Hong Kong classmates since being removed. The children's father, Ho Yun-keung, who lives in Hong Kong, said the Immigration Department called him yesterday to ask them to meet Guangdong Public Security officers today. 'I hope the bureau can help resolve their identity problems,' Mr Ho said. Po-kwan and Chi-sheung have been unable to enrol in any school in Shenzhen because they have no identity documents. They have adopted the novel form of 'distance learning', via conference calls with up to 10 classmates. They were removed with their mother, Ho Wu Xianwen, on September 24 after their fight for right of abode failed despite their father being a permanent Hong Kong resident at the time of their birth in 1989 and 1990. Though born in Shenzhen, they are not registered in the city as they were born to a 'foreign national' - their mother was born on the mainland but obtained Philippine citizenship in 1984. Mrs Ho returned to live in Shenzhen in 1987 but became stateless after the Philippine Consulate held her passport for unknown reasons in Guangzhou in 1999 when she tried to get the document renewed. She said the consulate had so far only asked her to wait. She sneaked to Hong Kong with her two children in March last year after mainland foreign affairs officials warned of arresting them. Mrs Ho said the meeting today had given her some hope the problem would be resolved. 'I'm glad to hear that they're looking at our case. At least we are not being ignored and kicked away wherever we go,' she said. Mr Ho said he hoped his wife and children could apply to settle in Hong Kong after having their identity clarified. Po-kwan and Chi-sheung said they hoped they could continue their study at the Tai Po and Hunghom schools that admitted them as sit-in students after hearing they were barred from attending school. Two of Po-kwan's former teachers visited her in Shenzhen, bringing dozens of cards from other teaches and schoolmates. 'My teachers told me that the other schoolmates miss me very much. One often asks them when will I be allowed back to Hong Kong,' Po-kwan said. Society for Community Organisation director Ho Hei-wah yesterday wrote to the Immigration Department requesting that Mrs Ho and her children be allowed to settle in Hong Kong. He said the children were being deprived of right of abode and education. Mr Ho also criticised the department for using unnecessary force while removing Mrs Ho by handcuffing her and bundling her over the border.