The owner of a kindergarten has been sentenced to death for putting rat poison in the salt supply at a rival premises, local reports said. As a result of the incident last month, 70 children and two of their teachers were taken ill after eating breakfast cooked at the kindergarten in Huangpo township, Guangdong province. The reports said Huang Hu, 30, who also worked as a private doctor, bought one yuan's worth of poison at a street stall last month and hid it at his home. He later decided to use the poison to harm a rival who ran a more successful kindergarten. On November 24, after a quarrel with his wife, Huang went to Kangle No. 2 Kindergarten where he put the poison in a bag of salt. The children and their teachers fell ill after eating congee at the kindergarten the following morning. All were discharged from hospital after treatment. Huang was convicted by the Zhanjiang Intermediate People's Court. State media said he will appeal against the sentence. Meanwhile, 52 people in Fengtai county, Anhui province, were taken to hospital after eating noodle soup laced with nitrate, state press said yesterday. Xinhua quoted doctors as saying those affected were out of danger after emergency treatment. Police have arrested the owner of the shop, Zhou Kaiui.