SHENZHEN authorities yesterday pledged to prosecute everyone, including police, found to have violated safety regulations and stored dangerous explosives at the Qingshuihe Warehouse Zone that was devastated by a series of explosions last Thursday. A Shenzhen government spokesman also confirmed for the first time yesterday that at least seven civilians were reported missing, but insisted only 15 bodies had been found. Huang Xinhua added that there was no confirmation of the number of missing firemen, army and police officers who were at the scene during the explosions. Unconfirmed reports put that figure between 30 and 50. Out of the 101 victims still in hospital, 25 were in critical condition. Five who were seriously injured have been transferred to Guangzhou for special treatment. Of the 15 declared dead, only 12 were identified, including a 12-year-old boy from Nanjing in Jiangsu. Economic damage was estimated at 200 million yuan (HK$270 million). Mr Huang denied earlier reports that the death toll was as high as 70 and stressed that there was no cover-up. ''I have no knowledge whatsoever of a death toll as high as 70 or 80,'' he said. ''Even if they are missing, we could not say they are dead.'' Mr Huang confirmed that the warehouses where the explosions occurred were not designed for the storage of explosives, clearly implying that the operators might have violated the safety regulations. The warehouse complex was owned by the Anmao Dangerous Goods Shipping and Storage Company - a joint venture between the Zhongmao Development Storage and Transportation Company and the Shenzhen Dangerous Goods Service Company. Zhongmao is a subsidiary of the China National Foreign Trade Development Corporation. Mr Huang refused to confirm reports that the Shenzhen Public Security Bureau was also a joint venture partner. Alleged links were still being investigated, he said. ''Any units and persons in charge - as long as they are responsible - will be prosecuted according to party disciplines and laws if they are found to have acted improperly,'' he stressed. According to sources, however, Anmao was operated directly by Shenzhen police authorities and its establishment was approved by Shenzhen police boss LiangDajun. A mass-circulation newspaper in Guangdong pointed the finger at unscrupulous operators of dangerous goods storage facilities and authorities in Shenzhen who reaped huge profits by ignoring safety requirements. In a lengthy article on the explosions, the Nanfang Daily accused Anmao of blatantly defying the law for huge profits. ''Didn't they [the operators] know that they should not build dangerous goods storage warehouses there? Didn't they know that it was dangerous to put dangerous goods together?'' asked the paper. ''Hasn't the problem of bureaucracy in Shenzhen become so serious that operators of dangerous goods storage warehouses can bypass the formal procedures for the storage of dangerous goods? ''Commonsense . . . but [they] still deliberately broke the laws. It's only for the huge profits from the dangerous goods business,'' the newspaper said on Tuesday. It accused ''some units and some people'' of money-worship. ''Those safety problems and 'attention: hidden dangers' and repeated reminders from the seniors have long vanished from their minds,'' it said. Quoting remarks made by vice-premier Zou Jiahua, the article said the explosions revealed the bad siting of the storage zone and problems in city planning and management. Mr Huang was at a loss why and when the warehouses became a storage area for dangerous goods. Nor would he say whether the local government was aware of the change of use. ''[The explosions] showed that there were flaws in our [original] plans,'' Mr Huang said. ''And in the course of execution [of the plan], it was possible that certain warehouses or companies had violated our fire-fighting regulations as well as the approved functions of the warehouses and stored explosives there.'' ''The government which is responsible for the administration of these warehouses should know what is being stored in these facilities,'' Mr Huang said. He said a high-level investigation team comprising officials from the Ministry of Labour and Ministry of Public Security would publicise its findings. The Shenzhen government was meanwhile conducting a city-wide safety check to make sure that other dangerous goods storage areas in the city were safe and lawful. The Shenzhen Civic Affairs Department received a total of 24.48 million yuan in donations. Hong Kong people donated 8.5 million yuan, including HK$5 million by tycoon Li Ka-shing. According to Mr Huang, the money would be used to pay for the rescue operations, compensate the families of the victims and reward any individuals and units that had made ''exemplary contributions'' in the rescue attempts.