Some will stay shut after Thursday's ruling failed to make it clear that they may reopen next week School principals and parents yesterday criticised the government for failing to make it clear that international primary schools and kindergartens could resume classes next week. Amid the confusion, many primary school and kindergarten principals took the decision to remain closed when they had planned to reopen. And yesterday they accused the Education and Manpower Bureau (EMB) of ineffective leadership and management. 'The government has been indecisive and it is leading from behind. I don't think they know what leadership is about,' said William May, principal of the English section of the Korean International School in Sai Wan Ho. The school had decided to remain closed when it heard Thursday's announcement by Secretary for Education and Manpower Arthur Li Kwok-cheung that primary, special and kindergarten schools would remain closed until further notice. But last night, after receiving an e-mail from the bureau clarifying its position, it decided to resume classes for Primary Four to Six children on Monday. Graham Ranger, secondary education officer with the English Schools Foundation (ESF), said: 'The bureau has thrown schools into a state of confusion.' He said that until Thursday afternoon, the ESF had been expecting to resume primary classes next week, particularly in light of a briefing with Permanent Secretary for Education Fanny Law Fan Chiu-fun on Wednesday. But it too changed its mind after the bureau's media briefing. A German Swiss International School spokesman said it had taken the same decision. The school would review the closure of its primary classes on Monday. 'We planned to reopen after the meeting with Fanny Law, but we changed our minds after the bureau decided to close all primary and secondary schools. But on Friday morning we received a fax from the bureau saying we could open,' he said. Parents had mixed opinions on whether schools should reopen. Louise Langford, whose child attends the ESF's Kennedy school, said: 'It is appalling. The kids should be back in school.' But Ms Lau, another parent, praised the ESF's decision and criticised the bureau's explanation that international schools could opt for earlier reopening because of their different curricula. 'I don't see how a curriculum has anything to do with the current situation,' she said. 'A blanket decision should be made.' Legislator for the education sector Cheung Man-kwong agreed that the bureau should not allow international schools to reopen while ordering other schools to remain shut. 'Sars does not have a preference of infecting local school kids over those in international schools,' he said. But Mr Cheung said that it was reasonable for Professor Li to continue the suspension of primary and kindergarten classes. 'From recent surveys and the numerous phone calls I have been receiving, the majority of primary school parents do not want classes to resume,' he said. International kindergartens have also been given permission to reopen, but few have taken that option. Wu Chiu-ha, president of the Hong Kong Kindergartens Association, said it was unfair for the government to order local kindergartens to close but give counterparts in the international sector the discretion to reopen. International Primary School reopening plans Opening on Monday: The Japanese, Australian and Korean international schools (Forms Four and Six only). Opening on May 5: The French International School. Remaining closed: The Canadian, German Swiss and Hong Kong international schools, English Schools Foundation primary schools and Victoria English Primary School.