By the time they were tested in hospital, none of the 10 members had any sign of fever, or other Sars symptoms Ten Indian sailors who were thought to have contracted Sars while at sea were yesterday discharged four hours after being taken to hospital. Doctors at Princess Margaret Hospital, described them as in 'very good health'. 'No problem! No problem!' one crew member shouted to reporters while holding his thumb up as he was wheeled into the hospital. The verdict returned by the doctors soon after was the same. 'The sailors are in very good health,' said Princess Margaret Hospital chief executive Lily Chiu Lei-lei. 'They showed no symptoms of Sars at all. They don't have fever and results of blood tests and chest X-rays were negative. The ship's captain made a distress call to the Marine Department on Friday when 10 of the 24 crew fell ill. They complained of fever, coughs and body aches - all symptoms of Sars - while at sea after they left Thailand for Guangzhou on April 28. Their Malaysian-flagged cargo vessel, the Bunga Melawis Satu, entered Hong Kong at about 8.30am yesterday with its cargo of chemicals. It was then guided to its anchorage on the eastern side of uninhabited Kau Yi Chau at 10.45am. Firemen, doctors and hygiene officials from the Department of Health - all wearing full protective gear - boarded the ship at 11am to disinfect it and examine all 24 sailors. The assistant director of the Department of Health, Cindy Lai Kit-lim, said the men were in satisfactory condition and showed no signs of fever. The 10 previously sick crew members, also wearing masks and head-to-toe suits, found a convoy of ambulances waiting for them when they arrived at the Central Government Pier on board the fireboat Elite at about 1.30pm. The crewmen, aged between 23 and 51, were taken into Princess Margaret Hospital in wheelchairs. They appeared in good spirits and were eventually discharged by 6.30pm yesterday. The rest of the crew, who remained on the cargo ship, were initially ordered to observe a 10-day quarantine, but were freed after doctors gave the crew taken to hospital the all-clear. Yesterday, questions were raised as to the captain's motives in heading for Hong Kong when the ship was nearer to other ports. Director of Marine Tsui Shung-yiu said the government could not turn the vessel away. He said under the International Search and Rescue and World Health Organisation conventions, Hong Kong had to provide assistance to the ship when it called for help. But he said the department had advised the ship's captain that Zhangiang, the nearest port, would be a better place for them to seek help. The captain ignored the advice and is now required to explain the incident to the Marine Department. The ship's owner would also have to foot the bill for the crew's medical expenses as well as the cost of any supplies the ship received.