Advertisement

Special meeting to put things straight

2-MIN READ2-MIN

A CRUCIAL meeting today could impact the future participation of all Hong Kong sports teams at overseas events said Fay Ho Kim-fai, executive director of the Sports Association for the Mentally Handicapped.

Senior government officials from the Home Affairs Bureau, medical experts, and local sports community representatives will link up with their Irish counterparts via video conference this morning to push for Hong Kong's full participation at the Special Olympics in Dublin next month.

Hong Kong has proposed cutting their Special Olympics squad by half in a bid to ease Sars fears in Ireland, and today's meeting could influence the Irish government's final decision expected soon.

Advertisement

'Everybody in the Hong Kong sports community would be influenced by a negative reaction from the Irish government,' said Ho.

'We want to explain the facts to them, because clearly Ireland's perception of Sars in Asia has been distorted by media there.'

Advertisement

The Irish government last week asked athletes from Sars-affected regions not to attend the June 21-29 event which cater for athletes with learning disabilities. Seven thousand participants from 166 countries are due to take part in the extravaganza, which occurs every four years.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x