The city is now searching for the 70 passengers who shared his carriage Shanghai has reported its eighth confirmed case of Sars, a railway attendant from Guangdong province. Across the country the number of Sars cases climbed to 5,285. Beijing continued to have the most new infections, with 15 cases, making a total of 2,465, compared with 1,513 in Guangdong. As of yesterday, 303 had died. Beijing, Tianjin and three northern provinces remain on the travel advisory list issued by the World Health Organisation. Guangdong, which first reported Sars, was removed from the list yesterday. Media in Shanghai yesterday quoted the Municipal Health Bureau as saying the rail attendant had been working on a train that arrived in Shanghai from Guangzhou on Wednesday. He was found to have Sars. It was the first confirmed case in nearly two weeks. The city is trying to locate all passengers who rode in the same carriage, about 70, to put them into quarantine. Shanghai has recorded two deaths from Sars, and hospitals have released two other patients who recovered. With the new case, four people are now in hospital. Officials say all but one case was imported into the city, adding that they will ease strict quarantine rules if the situation in the city remains stable. Shanghai now quarantines for two weeks all residents returning from an affected area. Visitors are subject to two weeks of health checks but are free to move around during this period. In a statement on the health bureau's website - apparently in response to a report in Time magazine - official sources denied Shanghai was using a different definition of Sars cases from the national standard, which had resulted in a lower number of cases. Shanghai had 84 suspected cases up to Wednesday, but doctors had ruled out the virus in most instances, the health bureau said. In Beijing, the municipal government is imposing new measures to monitor the health of non-residents to prevent the further spread of Sars. Neighbourhood communities, workplaces and landlords have been requested to ensure that non-Beijing residents from other provinces have passed health checks and obtained relevant resident registrations before June 10, Xinhua quoted the Beijing Anti-Sars Working Group as saying. Those who have not passed the health checks and registrations are barred from living and working in Beijing, the Xinhua report said. Landlords are required to register properties that are rented to non-Beijing tenants. They have been told to report suspected Sars cases among their tenants and are also responsible for disinfecting the properties. Employers and workplaces have been asked to monitor and check their non-Beijing employees and obtain valid resident registration cards for them.