A case of suspected food poisoning which saw 67 young children admitted to hospital in Hebei province was probably not malicious, a health official said yesterday after all but two of the children had been discharged by doctors. The children from the Chengjiaozhuang kindergarten in Shijiazhuang started to feel sick after lunch on Tuesday, the official said. An initial investigation revealed that the cause was probably food which had gone off, he said. He said poisoning caused by food that had deteriorated often happened in the hot summer months. The children experienced fever, diarrhoea and vomiting after they ate beans, ham and cold dishes at school, according to Xinhua. 'Most kids were discharged on Tuesday night and only about 10 stayed in hospital overnight,' he said. 'It's unlikely that someone poisoned their food.' There have been several large incidents of food poisoning in China recently. More than 3,000 children became sick and at least three of them died after drinking soya milk at school in Haicheng city in Liaoning province in April. This month, 144 primary school pupils in Sichuan province were poisoned after eating tainted sweets that were given to them. In March, tainted food poisoned at least 154 people in Shaanxi, 40 in Tianjin and 300 in Henan.