The Hospital Authority yesterday continued its takeover of government outpatient clinics, a move medical sector legislator Lo Wing-lok said had been exposed as ill-advised by the Sars outbreak. The authority yesterday took over the management of four more Department of Health clinics - Ap Lei Chau Clinic, Central District Health Centre, Chai Wan Health Centre and Wan Tsui Government Clinic - as part of plans released in a 2000 health-care consultation document. The plan involves transferring all of the department's 64 clinics, which handle six million visits a year, to the Hospital Authority. The authority took over its first five clinics in March last year. Over the next four weeks, the transfer of the remaining 55 clinics will be completed under the plan, which aims to 'encourage public hospitals to integrate secondary/tertiary care with primary care', a spokesman for the authority said yesterday. But Dr Lo said the plan should not proceed because Sars had changed the health-care scenario drastically. 'It is the wrong move because ... Sars has shown that primary care is important. We need to strengthen preventive and primary care,' Dr Lo said. He said the medical fraternity had been opposing the move to transfer the outpatient clinics for two years. An authority spokesman said the transfer would help realise the goal of community-based services and would 'facilitate the development of cost-effective pluralistic primary care'. Meanwhile, the authority said yesterday the deadline for submissions to its Sars review panel had been extended to July 14. The panel is looking at the handling of the outbreak.