Amid growing calls for a cabinet reshuffle, the chief executive insists that he has full control of his administration The chief executive last night defended his ability to govern, saying the political crisis caused by the national security bill controversy had not affected the function of his administration. A short statement issued by his office said Tung Chee-hwa still had the support of the Executive Council, despite the resignation of Liberal Party chairman James Tien Pei-chun from the cabinet. 'The government's functioning was not affected by the recent incidents. The chief executive continues to have full support of his team of principal officials and Executive Council members,' the statement read. 'Stability is the key to economic revival. While considering all possible measures to rebuild public confidence, we must not rush into solutions that are not well thought through.' The remarks came amid growing pressure on Mr Tung to reshuffle his cabinet to restore public confidence in Hong Kong's governance, which was dealt a severe blow by Mr Tien's resignation on Sunday. Mr Tung's authority is set to be questioned again tonight when tens of thousands of people converge on the Legislative Council to demand universal suffrage. Mr Tien's departure not only effectively forced the government to postpone the enactment of the Article 23 legislation, but his move is also widely regarded as signifying the end of the so-called 'ruling coalition' by ministers and political parties. But any shake-up of the Tung cabinet in the short term is likely to be complicated by a dearth of quality people willing to take on key ministerial roles. Senior government officials told the South China Morning Post that it was quite difficult to invite candidates, whose reputation and political stance were accepted by different political camps, to join the Executive Council. 'Mr Tung found it difficult to seek enough talent to join his cabinet last year,' one official said. 'We don't think it's an easy task amid the political tensions caused by the July 1 march.' Speaking before an Exco meeting yesterday morning, Exco member Cheng Yiu-tong urged the government to deal with the public's discontent as soon as possible. 'In the current situation, Mr Tung could consider disbanding Exco and reshuffling the ruling team,' Mr Cheng said. But another Exco member, Democratic Alliance for Betterment of Hong Kong chairman Tsang Yok-sing, disagreed with his suggestion, saying disbanding Exco would not help solve the problems faced by the government. 'All the Exco members, including principal officials and unofficial members, are united and concentrating on carrying out their responsibilities,' Mr Tsang said. He added that disbanding Exco was not on Mr Tung's agenda. In view of Mr Tien's resignation, the DAB chief said Mr Tung's original framework for forming a ruling coalition with two major political parties had changed. 'That's why it's natural that we have to re-assess our working relationship and mode of co-operation with the government,' Mr Tsang said. Despite saying earlier that he would not rule out the possibility of following Mr Tien's lead in resigning, Mr Tsang said yesterday he had decided to stay on.