Dozens of mainland officials from various departments have been rushed to Hong Kong to meet people from different sectors of the community and assess the political crisis facing the Tung administration. Pro-Beijing figures yesterday said middle-ranking officials from agencies such as the State Council's Hong Kong and Macau Affairs Office, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of State Security and intelligence agencies had been arriving in Hong Kong since early this week. It is understood that a departmental head of the Hong Kong and Macau Affairs Office was told to rush back to Hong Kong on Monday after returning to Beijing with Premier Wen Jiabao last week. There are five department heads at the Hong Kong and Macau Affairs Office. A pro-Beijing politician, who recently held meetings with mainland officials, said the cadres were busy seeking views from people from different sectors on the current crisis during their visits. 'They wanted to listen to our views on the crisis facing the Tung administration and what should be done,' the pro-Beijing figure said. 'They seldom made comments on the situation in Hong Kong but I got the impression that they saw the situation as a crisis.' It is understood some local delegates to the National People's Congress and the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference told mainland officials Mr Tung should step down in the wake of crisis. Since 500,000 people took to the streets on July 1, the only reaction from the central government has been a statement to the effect that Hong Kong people will support the government headed by Tung Chee-hwa in its endeavours to pass the national security legislation. Veteran China-watcher Johnny Lau Yui-siu said the mainland officials despatched to Hong Kong would submit reports about the situation in the city to senior leaders.