The company's refusal to discuss compensation sparks protest Relatives of the victims of last week's fatal bus crash yesterday staged a sit-in outside the Kowloon Motor Bus (KMB) headquarters after senior management refused to discuss compensation issues with them. The accident last Thursday killed 21 people -including the driver - and injured another 20 after a double decker plunged 50 metres off a bridge when it was hit by a container truck on Tuen Mun Road, police said. A total of 14 relatives representing the victims yesterday went to KMB's headquarters in Mei Foo. They had requested a meeting with the management last Friday, but there was no reply from the company. The group yesterday was only received by KMB's public relations chief and head of its insurance division. A short meeting was held but nothing was agreed on. Dissatisfied with the dialogue, the relatives staged a sit-in outside the company headquarters between 12.30pm and 2.30pm. A spokeswoman for the franchised bus operator said they had tried their best to meet the demand of the families. The company began issuing $30,000 assistance payments to some of the victims' families yesterday. 'Some of the victims' families have already accepted the money,' the spokeswoman said. But she stressed that the provision of assistance did not mean that the company had admitted legal liability in the accident. But Chan Kam-hong, chief executive of the Association for the Rights of Industrial Accident Victims, who helped organise the families of 25 victims to fight for their rights, criticised the company's attitude. 'The families have already lost faith in the way the bus company is handling their demands,' he said. 'The company made its own decision without proper consultation with the families.' He said the group had set up a bank account to collect donations. The Hang Seng Bank account number is 295-421903-002.