An executive for the Rolling Stones' record label EMI has raised doubts about government claims the band would not be coming to Hong Kong had it not been for Harbour Fest. The Sunday Morning Post reported last month that the Stones had been offered US$5 million to headline the taxpayer-subsidised festival, trumping a US$2 million offer by a commercial promoter. On Wednesday, InvestHK chief Mike Rowse said: 'The Stones approached the government and said they wanted to perform at the Tamar site. They would not have come on their own.' But Hans Ebert of EMI Music Southeast Asia said he had earlier been in talks with promoter Colleen Ironside of Live Limited to bring the Stones to Hong Kong. 'I had confidence she could handle the issue when suddenly she had it taken out of her hands,' he said. When told of the claim the Stones called the government to offer their services, Ms Ironside, now working for Harbour Fest, only laughed.