'Japan has never admitted responsibility. It has shown a complete lack of respect for Chinese people,' says organiser Six activists will present 1.12 million signatures collected through the internet to the Japanese embassy in Beijing today. They are demanding compensation and an apology for the recent leak of mustard gas from wartime munitions in Qiqihar, Heilongjiang province. They will carry a poster of Li Guizhen, a 33-year-old migrant worker who was killed in the Qiqihar poisoning. 'We want to mourn our compatriot who died [in the incident], show our support to the victims' relatives and exert pressure on the Japanese government,' said Lu Yunfei, one of the activists. Earlier this month, the activists delivered a petition bearing 300,000 signatures to the Japanese embassy over the Qiqihar incident. Mr Lu runs the Patriotic Coalition website, one of seven sites collecting signatures for the campaign. The activists applied to police in the Chaoyang district, where foreign embassies are located, for permission to stage a larger demonstration, but were denied. 'We submitted the application on September 10, but a few days later it was turned down,' said Zhou Wenbo, one of the organisers and a founder of two of the websites which have been collecting signatures. Last time they presented a petition, they waited outside the embassy for more than two hours before a Japanese diplomat accepted it. 'We hope this time the ambassador will come to accept our petition. Last time a counsellor accepted it,' said Mr Zhou. The activists said they started the latest campaign because they felt the Japanese government had shown a lack of respect for Chinese people. 'They never admitted responsibility for what they did. They have shown a complete lack of respect for the Chinese people. We are really angry,' said Mr Zhou. The embassy declined to comment on the protest or the petition. Japanese officials have expressed regret over the Qiqihar incident and negotiations are under way over compensation for the victims, but no agreements have been struck so far. In addition to the death of Li Guizhen, 42 Chinese were injured by the mustard gas. Dozens of Hong Kong activists will march to the Japanese consulate today. The activists are from the Hong Kong Coalition for Preserving the History of World War II in Asia, the Professional Teachers Union and the Action Committee for Defending the Diaoyu islands. Albert Ho Chun-yan, vice-chairman of the action committee, said it was regrettable that police had turned down the protest application by the Beijing activists. 'There is no reason why they cannot protest because it is for the good of social justice, nationalism and the interests of the country. Denying their rights to protest reflects how weak the government is and how frightened it is of hearing the voice of the people,' he said. Au Pak-kuen, vice president of the teachers' union, said the rejection was 'within his expectations'. 'The Chinese government has been very cautious about this. Even though the constitution allows for peaceful protests, [this] can be interpreted differently on the mainland,' he said.