The two activists will return to court after the district council elections Two April 5th Action Group members yesterday pleaded not guilty to desecrating the national flag - and won a delay to their trial to avoid it clashing with district council elections in which one is a candidate. Ng Kwok-hung, who in March was given a suspended prison sentence for burning the flag on National Day, and Lau Shan-ching declined legal representation. The offence for which they appeared in court yesterday relates to an incident on the day of the previous trial. Magistrate David Dufton yesterday set their trial date for November 17, but changed it to December 1 when Lau smilingly alluded to the fact that the throng of journalists at the trial would serve as free advertising for his district council election campaign. 'I see there are a lot of journalists and photographers here today,' Lau, 45, told Eastern Court. To bursts of laughter from lawyers and the public gallery, he added: 'If the trial is that close to the election date, then if my photos are posted in the media, should this cost be accounted for in my election expenses?' Ng, 49, also requested a change of date because he would be needed for election campaigning. Mr Dufton agreed to postpone the trial. 'I will grant a trial date after the election so it does not interfere [with it] in any way,' the acting principal magistrate said. The elections take place on November 23. Lau and Ng are charged with desecrating the national flag on March 4 outside Eastern Court during Ng's trial on the same charge. Ng was handed a three-month jail sentence, suspended for two years - the toughest penalty handed down so far for the controversial offence.