The Hong Kong government has made a new offer to halt a controversial civil lawsuit against three protesters. There was an outcry last month over reports that the administration had offered to halt its court action against the three demonstrators if they promised not to protest inside Immigration Tower and pay $10,000 each in legal costs. The Department of Justice last night said the new proposal had been made after public opinion over the initial offer had been considered. It would not discuss details of the new offer. The trio are veteran activist Lui Yuk-lin, Lin Tao-cheng - a parent of abode seekers - and fellow abode protester Cheung Cho-chang. They were involved in a right of abode rally on April 22 last year, during which demonstrators scuffled with police. Critics have accused officials of using civil litigation to crack down on demonstrators and restrict rights to protest. Yesterday, the three demonstrated their feelings of being deprived of their freedom by standing in wire cages on trolleys which were pulled by supporters from Southorn Playground in Wan Chai to the government headquarters in Central. They were joined by more than 100 abode seekers in a silent protest. Ms Lui said the Secretary for Justice, Elsie Leung Oi-sie, had asked a legislator to pass them a document expressing the government's willingness to a 'conditional withdrawal' of the civil action and to open talks with them. While agreeing to open discussions with the administration, Ms Lui said the time and agenda for such a meeting had yet to be confirmed, as the three would need to study the proposal in detail and consult human rights and legal experts before deciding the next step. Last night, Frontier legislator Emily Lau Wai-hing confirmed she had passed on the information at the request of the Department of Justice. Ms Lau said she would try to help sort out a date for the three to meet Miss Leung. The Department of Justice yesterday confirmed it had asked a legislator to pass its latest proposal to the protesters.