Victim's son hopes lawsuit will reveal facts he believes are being hidden Wan Cho-nam has struggled to hold back his tears ever since Sars claimed his mother four months ago. But he could no longer keep his emotions in check when he heard the health chief say the word 'apology' on Thursday. Mr Wan, whose 78-year-old mother died in May, broke down in tears as he watched Secretary for Health, Welfare and Food Yeoh Eng-kiong in a televised speech offer his 'deepest and most sincere apology' to the victims of Sars. 'I felt so sad for my mother,' Mr Wan said yesterday at a media briefing attended by families of Sars victims planning to sue the government for its poor handling of the disaster. More families have come forward to pursue legal action since the Sars expert committee delivered its report on Thursday, in which it failed to single out anyone for the 'significant shortcomings' it identified in Hong Kong's health system. Three families of Sars victims and one recovering Sars patient have sought help from the Patients' Rights Association concerning possible legal action. This takes to 13 the number of cases notified to the association since April. 'This report has, to a great extent, forgotten the Sars victims,' Mr Wan said. 'I hope that the legal procedure can find out the truth. Faults committed by those responsible should not be covered up.' Mr Wan claimed there was evidence hospital staff had been negligent in caring for his mother. He believes she contracted the disease from another hospital patient. No government official had given him a comforting word, he said, or even a pat on the shoulder. Speaking on a radio phone-in programme yesterday, Rosie Young Tse-tse, a member of the expert committee, said its report had pointed out the inadequacy of the government's financial support for the victims and called for more relief funds from the government and the community. The Legal Aid Department has received 11 applications for legal aid for Sars cases. Two have been rejected and two others withdrawn.