Calling for 'one man, one vote', Emily Lau says Tung is obstacle to democracy A rally in Central yesterday calling for Tung Chee-hwa to step down and demanding a 'one man, one vote' system attracted just 400 people, police said. But organisers put the turnout at the two-hour protest in Chater Garden at nearly 2,000. The chief executive, who has said he would respond to people's aspirations better in the wake of the July 1 march, spent his afternoon at the opening of TVB's new broadcasting complex in Tseung Kwan O. Although the turnout was poor compared with the three politically charged street campaigns in July, the Anti-Tung Solidarity group stressed people's desire for Mr Tung to quit had not lessened. Emotions ran high as angry participants repeatedly chanted 'C.H. Tung! Step down!' and pinched an effigy of Mr Tung. Mr Tung was the butt of sarcastic jokes and comments from some speakers and in rock 'n' roll songs played by musicians. It was the first rally held solely to promote the call for Mr Tung's resignation. More than half a million protesters took to the street on July 1 against the Article 23 legislation and his governance. About 50,000 people staged a night vigil against the legislation on July 9. A rally calling for universal suffrage four days later attracted 20,000 participants. Rally spokesman Shiu Yeuk-yuen said yesterday's turnout was better than expected. 'I don't think we should compare it to July 1, in which there was an urgency to protest against the legislation,' he said. Legislator Emily Lau Wai-hing said the Chater Garden rally was only the beginning of the long road to remove Mr Tung, whom she said was a major obstacle to democratisation. 'Some might say the participation today is much lower than July 1 but that doesn't matter. What's important is to send out the message,' she said. 'C.H. Tung step down. We want one man, one vote for the chief executive elections and the legislature as soon as possible.' Mr Shiu said the group planned to endorse 100 district council candidates who supported the call for Mr Tung to quit. He strongly criticised the democrats for being ambiguous over the anti-Tung issue, saying the party had not done much since the July 1 protest. Joseph Cheng Yu-shek, a City University political science professor and spokesman for Power for Democracy, urged the radicals and moderates in the pro-democracy camp to be more tolerant of each other's stance. 'I hope hundreds of thousands of people or even a million people will turn out to vote in the November polls,' he said. 'We have to tell the government, Beijing and the world that we have not forgotten democracy because the economy is picking up again.' In response to the rally, Secretary for Constitutional Affairs Stephen Lam Sui-lung said the government was aware that what had been achieved over the past six years could not fully meet people's expectations. Asked if the rally showed Mr Tung had not learned the lesson over the past three months, Mr Lam said Hong Kong was an open society and the government would face supporting and opposing views in a pro-active way. He said the Legislative Council had already voted on whether Mr Tung should stay on Wednesday. The non-binding motion by Ms Lau was voted down by 31 to 21. He conceded that the public had expectations about democratic development, adding that the government would forge a way forward on development beyond 2007.